View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Controversy with Zili Li of Delft University of Technology 

Post Controversy with Zili Li of Delft University of Technology
Dear colleagues and friends,

Herewith I want to inform you about a controversy that has arisen between me and Zili Li of Delft University of Technology. For some reason, Zili is actively trying to hinder my work in wheel-rail contact mechanics, and unfortunately he is not shrinking away from using inappropriate means. I welcome any scientific debate as long as it is constructive and fair. But how Zili operates is so damaging to me and my work, that I feel it necessary to inform you about what's going on.

One particular incident occurred at the IAVSD conference in Qingdao in 2013. There I presented my research into conformal contact analysis, in which I built upon Zili's work and extended this further. After my presentation, Zili unrightfully accused me of "plagiarism". He feels that I presented his approach as my own work, even though I clearly attributed to him in word and in writing. Further, he disacknowledges the significance of the innovations that I presented through his unfair claims.

In the past year we have seen two more incidents. Firstly, TU Delft made unjust claims on the intellectual property of their software WEAR. They falsely claimed that they developed WEAR entirely from scratch, without making use of CONTACT in any way. VORtech took TU Delft to court in order to defend the IP rights on the CONTACT software. The case was settled, by establishing that WEAR still uses a considerable portion of the CONTACT version from 1993, and by a license for TU Delft for its continued use.

The latest incident involves a paper by Burgelman, Li and Dollevoet presented in the journal Wear. In this paper the authors violate good publishing ethics, by an improper literature review and by concealing the capabilities of the CONTACT software. The authors write that "CONTACT cannot handle conformal contact", even though they are fully aware of my works in this respect. A formal complaint at the ethics committee of TU Delft regarding this paper is pending, in which I request that the paper is rectified or withdrawn.

It is my sincere wish that we can leave these issues behind soon and focus again on our high-quality research in the subject of wheel-rail interaction. Until then you may hear about these incidents and procedures occasionally. For that I wanted to give you this background information and let you know what's going on.

Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments or in case you want to know more.

Kind regards,
Edwin Vollebregt
Delft, June 24th, 2015

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:29 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Controversy with Zili Li of Delft University Technology
Dear colleagues and friends,

Mid 2015 I informed you about my issues with Delft University of Technology. These haven't abated, but still drag on.

Last year we've seen two more incidents in this developing story. Firstly, Nico Burgelman defended his PhD thesis. This wouldn't be a big deal by itself, but there's a problem with the PhD thesis. He didn't alter one word in the paper that I've been complaining about. This is misleading and damaging to the reputation of our CONTACT software.

Secondly, my complaints on these issues aren't dealt with fairly and objectively by Delft University of Technology. After a hearing, they concluded that I hold no stake in this matter. Also, TU Delft did not announce the PhD defence in advance, and attributed this to an error of the Web-master. However, this was masked in the report of the hearing. And whereas the hearing was recorded, TU Delft doesn't let this tape be used as evidence.

These two issues will be dealt with in further proceedings this year. I don't want to bother those of you that aren't interested. So I've created a blog to inform those of you that are: http://www.kalkersoftware.org/wp-blog.

You're welcome to contact me with questions or comments, or maybe share related experiences yourself.

Kind regards,
Edwin Vollebregt
Delft, January 5th, 2017

Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]